You will be taken care of by a board certified anesthesiologist, a nurse anesthetist, or a combined care team.
Instructions for General Anesthesia Patients
1. Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the day before surgery. Also, do not chew gum or smoke . You may brush your teeth the morning of surgery, but do not swallow any water.
2. Avoid alcohol and tobacco use 24 hours before surgery.
3. For your comfort, please shower or bathe the evening before or morning of your surgery.
4. Do not wear lotion, perfume, cologne, or nail polish.
5. Please bring storage containers for your eye glasses, contact lenses, and dentures. These items will need to be removed during your procedure but may be needed prior to your surgery to complete paperwork.
6. Check with your physician on whether or not you should avoid medicines such as anti-inflammatories, vitamins or herbal supplements – some of these should be avoided up to 2 weeks prior to surgery.
7. Detailed medication instructions will be provided during your pre-op call from our nursing department. Please enter a complete list of your current medications on the patient portal.
8. Follow your physicians instructions with regards to any special prep or medications given to you prior to surgery.
9. ALL minors must be accompanied by a legal guardian who must remain at our facility for the duration of your surgery and post-op periods.
10. Please leave valuables (jewelry, electronics, purses, etc.) at home or with your designated caretaker as we cannot be held responsible for lost or misplaced items.
Patients Receiving Only Local Anesthesia
You should follow most of the instructions list for General Anesthesia patients with a few exceptions to food and drink prior to your surgery. Be sure to follow your doctor’s instructions carefully, complete the forms on our patient portal and expect a call from our pre-op nursing department.
Please read our Instructions and advice for Post-Op by clicking this link: After Your Surgery